Your Right to Privacy
At UnitedHealthcare Insurance dac (trading as United Healthcare Global) we respect your right to privacy and the protection of your personal data. The purpose of this privacy notice is to explain how we routinely collect and use personal data about individuals, including applicants and members “you’’ for the provision of our products and services and what rights you have in relation to your personal information.
UnitedHealthcare Global is the primary data controller for processing your personal information. Throughout this document references to ‘’we’’, ‘’us’’ ‘’our’’ or ‘’the company’’ refer to UnitedHealthcare Insurance dac and its subsidiaries and affiliated companies.
Different types of information we collect about you
To allow us to provide our products and services and to run our business we collect and process various categories of personal information about you. We will hold:
- Data to identify you and your dependents (spouse/partner/family), including your contact information;
- Your date of birth;
- Your postal and assignment address;
- Your email address;
- Your contact telephone number (landline & mobile);
- Your employment details;
- Your work & visa details; or as may be required or permitted by law or required for the purposes of any regulatory audit to which the Company may be subject from time to time.
- Your nationality & passport number;
- Your gender;
- Your marital status;
- Health & medical information; and
- Your banking details
How we collect your personal data
We do this in a few ways including:
- Information provided by an insurance broker or your employer during the application process for a health insurance plan;
- Health information collected directly from you during the application process for a health insurance plan; and
- Information collected directly from you, such as when you notify us of a claim.
- Information provided from providers (doctors, hospitals, service providers, etc.) to coordinate and provide coverage for your care.
How we use your personal information
We will use your personal information:
- To consider an application for a health insurance plan purchased on your behalf by your employer;
- If a policy is accepted we will use your personal information to administer your policy;
- To process a claim and assist you in the event of a medical emergency;
- To communicate with you, including information about your policy and the quality of our services;
- To develop reports, including anonymising your personal information, and conducting analysis on our operations; and
- To evaluate the risk of potential fraud.
Our legal basis for processing your personal information
We use, and share, your data where:
- It is necessary for the Company’s legitimate interests, including those described above;
- It is necessary for the activities regarding coverage and administration of the insurance policy; and
- It is necessary for compliance with Company’s legal obligations, such as complying with regulatory audits.
Implications of not providing your personal data and or withdrawing consent
If personal data is not provided to us, we may not be able to cover you on a health insurance plan or continue to administer your policy, including processing claims.
Sharing your information
When providing our services to you, we may share your information with authorised:
- Insurance brokers and other insurers who work with us to help manage the underwriting process and administer our policies;
- Third party administrators who work with us to help manage the underwriting process, administer our policies and help us manage the claims process;
- Service providers who provide us with support services;
- Assistance providers who can help provide you with assistance in the event of a claim or medical emergency;
- Medical providers who will assist you in the event of a claim or medical emergency;
- Limited members of personnel within the company;
- UnitedHealth Group companies;
- Third parties in connection with any sale or transaction involving all or a portion of the business, and
- Statutory and regulatory bodies.
Transferring outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and United Kingdom (UK)
In some cases personnel and authorised third-party vendors may be located outside of the EEA and UK, including in countries that may not provide the same level of data protection as your home country. We will always take appropriate steps to ensure that such personnel and third-party vendors are bound to duties of confidentiality and we have implemented measures such as standard data protection contractual clauses to ensure that any transferred Personal Data, remains protected and secure. A copy of these clauses can be obtained by contacting us at the address listed below in the ‘’how to contact us section’’.
How long we hold your data
We will retain your personal information only for so long as reasonably necessary for the purposes set out above, in accordance with applicable laws.
You have certain rights in relation to how we use your information and the manner in which we process it. This includes:
- A right to access to your personal information;
- A right to request us to correct inaccurate information or update incomplete information;
- A right to request that we restrict processing of your information in certain circumstances;
- A right to object to us processing your personal information for our legitimate business interests or direct marketing purposes;
- A right to have your information deleted or our use of your data restricted in certain circumstances. We may be unable to comply with a data deletion request where doing so would place us in breach of our obligations under applicable laws, regulation or codes of practice. However, in some circumstances, you may be able to request that your data be blocked from further processing;
- A right to data portability (i.e. obtain a transferable copy of your information we hold to another provider) in certain circumstances; and
- A right to withdraw consent at any time where processing is based on consent.
If you wish to exercise any of your data rights, you can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. If we are unable to handle your request fully within one monthb (due to the complexity or number of requests) we may extend this period by a further two months and shall explain the reason why.
If you have a complaint or concern about how we use your personal data, please contact us in the first instance email@example.com and we will attempt to resolve the matter as soon as possible. You also have the right to complain to the Data Protection Commission or another supervisory authority at any time.
We maintain reasonable security measures to safeguard Personal Data from loss, interference, misuse, unauthorised access, disclosure, alteration or destruction. We also maintain reasonable procedures to help ensure that such data is reliable for its intended use and is accurate, complete and current.
How to contact us
If you have any questions about how we use your information, you can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. In addition you can contact our Data Protection Officer at any time at email@example.com
We reserve the right to amend this privacy statement at any time, you should regularly check this privacy statement for any amendments.
Last updated: May 28, 2021